Conquering Birthday Blues: A guide to Celebrating You

By Life in Progress - January 22, 2024

 

Birthdays: a time of joy, celebration, and let's face it sometimes...a touch of sadness. They can often feel like an emotional rollercoaster. The mix of celebration and reflection stirs up feelings of joy, nostalgia, and the blues. For the most part of my life, I have always dreaded my birthdays not for any particular reason, but somehow, I had found a way to turn my birthdays into a day of reflection instead of celebration. Some years you’re up, excited for what’s ahead. Other times, you’re down, perhaps feeling a bit older, a touch lonelier, or just not where you thought you’d be.



It’s my birthday in a few days and it is the first in a new country, you already know the blues are coming in like mighty waves. The thought of being away from home and not being able to spend the day with my loved ones like I normally would makes it even worse. But then I said to myself - why settle for the blues when you can paint your birthday in vibrant hues? So, if your birthday is around the corner, and like me, you are so not looking forward to it, this post is for you 🫵🏼. Let’s navigate these emotions and make your special day a blast!



Embrace the Emotional Journey

Recognize that it's normal to have a range of emotions on your birthday. It's a significant marker of time, and it's natural to reflect on where you are in life versus where you thought you'd be. It is also important to note while embracing these feelings that it’s okay not to have all that you desire, life is a process and good things take time. Start by reminding yourself of how amazing you are. Jot down all the cool things you've done this year. Big or small, every achievement is a high five to yourself!


Reframing Your Perspective

Shift your focus from aging to evolving. Contrary to popular practice I’m excited to be getting older, I’m interested in seeing what these next few years have in store for me. Your birthday isn't just a reminder that you're a year older; it's a celebration of how far you've come and how much more greatness lies ahead. Reflect on your personal growth and accomplishments, it’s okay to celebrate yourself.


Plan an adventure.

Growing up is realizing you have to do all you can to make your day special so why not shake things up this year? Instead of the usual dinner and cake, plan something you've never done before. Skydiving, building a plane from scratch, or a night at an open mic - pick something that excites you. A friend of mine got us tickets to this show called Chocolate men, now I’m not sure what to expect but I’m definitely looking forward to what this show has in store *wink, wink*. New experiences can be exhilarating and a great antidote to the birthday blues.


Strengthen Connections

Reach out to friends or family members who uplift you. A conversation with someone who understands and appreciates you can be incredibly uplifting and a reminder of the positive relationships in your life. My bestie and I have our birthdays a day apart, and when the days are approaching, we motivate each other. I motivate her to celebrate hers and she does the same to me. It’s your birthday, make it nice!


Pamper Yourself

Birthdays are the perfect excuse for some extra self-care. Whether it's a spa day or buying that pair of shoes you think are so expensive or going on a trip, treat yourself with kindness and celebrate your day. Spoil yourself, you deserve it.


 Create a Birthday Ritual

Establish a personal birthday tradition that holds special meaning for you. My friends and I make it a point of duty to spend our birthdays together, even if it means spending the day doing nothing together, or something more active like shutting the bar down, whatever it is make sure it is something you enjoy. If you are in a new environment like me, please share interesting birthday activities. Let’s make the most of our special day. 



Set New Goals

Yes, I know what you are thinking, this sounds a little too serious but trust me when I say your goals do not have to be groundbreaking. For me, I made a pact with myself 2 years ago to be intentional about my birthdays and see it for what it is – A Day to celebrate, even it meant breaking the bank (please do not break the bank 🙏), but you get what I mean. Anything can be a goal, use your birthday as a milestone for setting new personal goals. This forward-thinking approach can give you a sense of direction and purpose for the year ahead.


Practice Mindfulness

Live in the moment, stay present and enjoy each moment of your birthday. Do not worry too much about what comes next, it’s okay to bask in the euphoria of your special day. Mindfulness helps you appreciate the small joys and can turn those blues into a colorful parade. Breathe in, breathe out, relax and enjoy your day.


Celebrating your birthday should be about enjoying your journey, acknowledging your growth, and looking forward to the future with optimism. Remember, every birthday is an opportunity to start fresh and embrace the wonderful journey of life. So, make sure you step out and paint the town whatever color that makes you happy, and if it must be blue, make it a vibrant and happy blue.













 






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments